problem compining 2.2.3 on redhat 9

Subject: problem compining 2.2.3 on redhat 9
From: Greg Hamerly (ghamerly_AT_cs.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 19:32:49 EEST

Hi,

I have a fresh install of redhat 9 (with all updates), and I would like to
install ecasound via rpm. However, I cannot build the package from the source
tarball. I get the following:

    [root_AT_ghamerly audio]# rpmbuild -v -tb ecasound-2.2.3.tar.gz
    error: Package already exists: %package debuginfo

    [root_AT_ghamerly audio]#

I can't get any more error messages than that. I have grepped around for
things related to debuginfo in various rpm configuration files, but I haven't
been able to solve the problem. The most relevant file seems to be
/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros, which has the section (lines 99 -- 114):

    # Template for debug information sub-package.
    # NOTE: This is a copy from rpm to get the ifnarch noarch fix, it can be removed later
    %debug_package \
    %ifnarch noarch\
    %global __debug_package 1\
    %package debuginfo \
    Group: Development/Debug\
    %description debuginfo\
    This package provides debug information for package %{name}.\
    Debug information is useful when developing applications that use this\
    package or when debugging this package.\
    %files debuginfo -f debugfiles.list\
    %defattr(-,root,root)\
    %endif\
    %{nil}

For reference I also tried building the 2.2.2 tarball in the same way, with the
same result.

I looked at the ecasound.spec file, but I didn't see any obvious problems (but
I'm not fluent in .spec).

I can install from the tarball just fine ("./configure; make; make install"),
but I would like to use rpm if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

- greg