Re: [ecasound] external sound card

Subject: Re: [ecasound] external sound card
From: oliver thuns (smoerk_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 22:32:49 EEST

Jan Stary wrote:
> [ Sorry, now with nonmalicious headers and subject ]
>
> Hi,
>
> as my Acer Laptop only has a via ac97 chipset and one mono (mic) input and
> one stereo (headphone) output, I consider getting some additional
> hardware.
>
> I have two USB ports and a PCMCIA Card slot. Which one is better to use as
> a sound input/output? I mean sound quality and latency.
>
> I am running ecasound on top of alsa 0.9.2 and the 2.5.66 kernel.
>
> Any suggestions for a particular card/device/setup?

It depends. Do you need multi channel or stereo and what sample rate?
PCMCIA or Firewire is better than USB in general, especially for multi
channel cards. If you only need stereo, USB is quite okay. Best thing
for multi channel is maybe Hammerfall Multiface with PCMCIA card, but
it's quite expensive (around 1000 Euro).