ecasound pronunciation

Subject: ecasound pronunciation
From: Raoul Bönisch (jkl345_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 21:49:57 EET

* Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> [2003-03-10 19:57]:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, j.c.w. wrote:
> > p.s. - i just tried to pronounce "ecasound" out loud. is it
> > "eek-uh-sound" or "eck-uh-sound" or "e.c.a. sound" or something else?
> > i'm suddenly very disturbed by this since i've been using the software
> > for several years now!
>
> I'd say "eck-uh-sound" is the closest one (at least closest to the way I
> pronounce it ;)). Another way to describe this is to start from
> "megasound", and omit pronouncing the 'm' at start, and replace 'g' with a
> sharper 'k' sound.

That's how festival's Ked pronounces "ecasound". I think it is
quite important to know how to pronounce the name of a program.
To have a soundfile with the correctly pronounced name is nice.
Actually such a file is available for how to pronounce Linux.

Another possibility is to provide a festival string or an mbrola
file which pronounces the word correctly. I think festival does.
You can use this command line to listen to it:

echo '(voice_ked_diphone) (SayText "ecasound")' | festival --pipe

Is pronunciation really correct? I'm quite sure.

A third method is using phonetic symbols. There is a latex package
to typeset such phonetic symbols called tipa. This explains the
ecasound pronunciation as explained above:

\begin{tabular}{ll}
megasound & \textipa{"meg_AT_saUnd}\\
egasound & \textipa{"eg_AT_saUnd}\\
ecasound & \textipa{"ek_AT_saUnd}
\end{tabular}

Phonetic symbols are those symbols explained on the first pages of
your english dictionary. They are used to describe pronunciation
of words.

        Raoul

--
Critical security problem with all Sendmail versions!
Please upgrade to version 8.12.8 or higher NOW!