Re: [ecasound] Ecasound multitrack recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound multitrack recording
From: Martin O'Loughlin (martino_an_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 10:24:13 EET

--- Julien Patrick Claassen <julien_AT_c-lab.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Mikko Nummelin wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all!
> > > I'm using a m-audio delta 1010lt soundcard and
> would like to do a
> > > multitrackrecording. Consider the foloowing
> idea:
> > > I wanna record guitar and keyboard at the same
> time. But I want to store the
> > > results of those instruments in different files,
> so I can postprocess them
> > > seperately. Is this possible and if how?
> >
> > Two or more soundcards attached to different
> chains, and still beware
> > synchronization problems. Some very expensive
> soundcards might have
> > multiple microphone and line-in channels also.
> >

> Yes, I know that it might be possible with two or
> more soundcards attached
> to different chains, but how about doing it with
> one. With my delta 1010lt. I
> heard, that someone had to open all channels at
> once, because the
> alsaplugin-devices wouldn't work. Now I'm trying to
> figure out, how I can
> attach inputs 1/2 to chain a1 and inputs 3/4 to
> chain a2. How exactly would
> that be done? I think it won't be a good idea to do
> something like:
> ecasound -a:a1 -f:16,10,44100 -i alsahw,0,0 -a:a2
> -f:16,10,44100 -i
> alsahw,0,0 -a:1 -f:16,2,44100 -o a.wav -a:2
> -f:16,2,44100 -o b.wav
> I think it simply doesn't work.
> Kindest regards
> Julien

In fact, this cannot work as you have not told
ecasound which channel to take the two files from.

I have the delta 1010lt and have checked th multitrack
recording with no trouble.
Once you specify -f 16,2 44100 you are automatically
reading all input channels. and should thus assume
that you have now 10 input channels which can be
referred to by number.

so. then to take the first two channels to a.wav and
the second two to b.wav you need to split off the
first two tracks say and stick them in a.wav, and the
second two into b.wav.

I do not know have the syntax at hand,

overall the structure should probably be,

ecasound -f:16,10,44100 -a 1,2 -i alsahw,0,0
-a:1 ""split first two tracks off and write to "
-f:16,2,44100 -o a.wav
-a:2 "Split second two tracks (3,4) and write to
-f:16,2,44100 -o b.wav

hope this helps/works

Martin

=====