Re: [ecasound] cygwin: cpu usage / crash

Subject: Re: [ecasound] cygwin: cpu usage / crash
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 00:51:38 EET

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, smoerk wrote:

> the audio signal is always a little bit delayed and cpu usage was around
> 80% to 90%. i wondered, if ecasound really needs 80% of cpu time, so i
> recompiled ecasound in another cygwin shell and gave the process
> real-time priority, which completly froze my NT 2000.

Yes, it does seem to use a lot of CPU power. The /dev/dsp emulation works,
but it's techically far from optimal (it adds a long delay). I don't have
a win32 machine for testing at the moment, but you could try running the
same setup without /dev/dsp (replace with for example 'rtnull' and see if
the cpu usage remains high).

> i hope somebody will have time and fun in developing an asio interface
> for ecasound/cygwin.

That would be a nice addition. Even a directx or winmm driver would be
nice to have. But who will do it? As I don't even have win32 machines,
that won't be me, I'm afraid. :)

> vst plugins would be cool, too. what is the problem
> with including code for supporting vst plugins? there are lots of free
> vst enabled software floating around...

Only way to legally get the vst headers file is from steinberg's web
site. Basicly vst support would require all ecasound users to fetch the
sdk from the steinberg site (and join the devel program). It's not clear
whether I could distribute binaries that have vst support, but I guess
(judging from the current win32 situation), it would be ok.