Re: [ecasound] cygwin libpyecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] cygwin libpyecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 17:45:02 EET

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, janne halttunen wrote:

> Ok, if someone really wants them to work now, I have a package that
> might of interest. Native ECI python bindings, temporarily available
> at:
> http://www.pp.htv.fi/jhalttun/ecanative.tar.gz

Brilliant work, Janne! This will greatly improve the usability of
pyecasound for audio scripting (you only need to have the ecasound
executable installed somewhere in PATH and that's it).

> I've submitted this to Kai, so it may even be in the main distribution someday :)

Yes, definitely. Hmm, what could be a good set of defaults for the build
process...? I guess something like:

- if python is found on the system, install the
  ecanative version of pyecasound (we need to have some place
  to install the .py files)
- if user specifies some switch (i.e. is optional, not enabled by default)
  we will try to compile the pyecasound.so extension

... by doing this we avoid the problem of trying to build pyecasound.so
on not-so-common platforms while still allowing efficiency when needed.
And I guess for most uses ecanative.py will be fast enough.