slow playback of recorded sound

Subject: slow playback of recorded sound
From: Bob Billson (reb_AT_bhive.dhs.org)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 19:50:17 EET

Hi all...

Firstly, a big thanks to Kai and the other contributors to ecasound!
Great work all! Keep at it!!

My problem: I am using ecasound 2.2.0 in a script to record radio
programs and convert them to Ogg Vorbis. When played back the audio
sounds slower. It is not a big difference but enough to be noticeable.
It reminds me using of a battery-powered tape recorder when the batteries
beginning to die. At first I thought the cause was the Ogg encoder; but
listening to the original WAV file sounds the same.

I figure I am calling ecasound incorrectly. I use:

ecasound -f:16,1,44100,n -b:128 -t:$record -q -i /dev/dsp -x -o radio-show.wav

The script then runs oggenc to convert the .wav to .ogg. I know ecasound
can call oggenc directly, but I'm saving the .wav until I figure out the
problem.

$record is the show length set in the script. I use -f:16,1,44100,n
to save the show as mono to reduce file size. I'm not clear if I need
",n". Changing the buffer size doesn't seem to have any affect. Do I
even need to bother setting it?

The system is a home machine and not even close to being loaded heavily. :)
The hardware is:

900 MHz Duron
60 GB UDMA-100 drive
128 MB RAM
Soundcard is built-in Trident SiS 7018 sound chip
running Debian testing tree, GNOME and sawfish for a window manager

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

          bob

--
 bob billson        email: reb_AT_bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz   /)
                           reb_AT_elbnet.com             beekeeper -8|||}