Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1

Subject: Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-rc1
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 01:23:29 EET

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, janne halttunen wrote:

> 1. the resampling bug
[...]
> # ecasound -f 16,2,48000 -i resample,44100,/mp3/shpongle-tales_of_the_inexpressible/01\ -\ Shpongle\ -\ Dorset\ Perception.mp3 -o jack_alsa
> ..I can't hear crackling anymore, but it plays slower than it is supposed to!

This is now fixed in CVS.

> # ecasound -f 16,2,48000 -i /mp3/shpongle-tales_of_the_inexpressible/01\ -\ Shpongle\ -\ Dorset\ Perception.mp3 -o jack_alsa
> ..it sounds fine!
[...]
> Are we reverted back to the implicit resampling, or what?

Actually yes since mpg123 contains a resampler, so you can set the mp3
input sampling rate to any value in ecasound and it will still work.
This is a mp3/mpg123 specific feature.

> 2. the "pitch shifter with jack" -bug

The pitch-shifter and JACK are inherently incompatible at the moment. I've
added more verbose error messages that should warn users who happen to try
this combination. This is a very difficult thing to fix.

> 3. the "tremolo effect with jack" -bug
> # ecasound -b 64 -f 16,2,44100 -i jack_alsa -eemt 120,600 -o jack_alsa
> ..then balance pcm and line-in sliders in mixer. Sound good for first couple of minutes. Then suddenly, then bpm of the tremolo halves! After a couple more minutes, it comes back up to normal speed. Then, after couple of more minutes, the tremolo effect is gone.

Yup, something odd is happening. I haven't yet been able to find
out what causes this, but I'll continue the bug hunt.