Re: [ecasound] Ecasound as an editing tool

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Ecasound as an editing tool
From: Mikko Nummelin (mnummeli_AT_cc.hut.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 01:25:55 EET

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Lars Bjørndal wrote:

> I'm not sure if you have understand my question, so I'll explain.
>

> I have one file called "file-org.wav", that is a radio recording. This
> file starts with some garbage, and it also ends with some sound that I
> don't want to save. I want to look at Ecasound as an old tape
> recorder that can record and play at the same time, and I think it's
> possible, but I don't understand how!
>
> OK! I start playing the file with Ecasound. When I reach the stuff I
> want to save, I will stop playing, and start copying the data from
> "file-org.wav" to the "file-result.wav" for instance. How can I save
> the position, and then start copying from that position?
>
> And finaly, I may be want to remove some garbage at the end of the
> "file-result.wav".
>
> Could you please tell me the commands I have to isue for performing
> these tasks?
>
> Hope you will help me!

I am afraid that I can't really help you much since I havent used the
system too much, but have a look at the examples page

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/examples.html

That's a great examples page!

And then, _start your ecasound with the -c option_, meaning that you want
it to run in the interactive mode. Then you can type 'h' for help and gain
information how to look at current chainsetup and other statuses. You
should in fact try to get the exact positions of 'something happening' on
your recording in seconds, and write them to a piece of paper, because
then it is easier to go on with editing commands. Ecasound is not like an
old cassette player. It is buggy, and sometimes requires restart in order
to continue processing in a stabile way. (I'm sorry to say this).

Mikko Nummelin