setting record levels from a reference .wav file

Subject: setting record levels from a reference .wav file
From: Leonard Nutley (leonutley_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 22:34:40 EET

This may be offtopic, but here's the situation.

I have a set of lectures on CD, and want to convert them
to mp3 for personal use/reference. Due to scratches on the disks,
cdparanoia (etc) stalls eternally on certain tracks requiring me to
record directly from the disk, and convert the wav files from the
recordings. It's a salvage job, and I was thinking that ecasound and
related tools would help me.

The problem lies in setting the levels for the recording.

One solution would be to normalize the un-rip-able recorded tracks, but
this would require unencoding the existing mp3 files and running
normalize on them as well. What I would prefer to do is take a single
wav file from a good track and extract level information from that that
could be passed to a recording application, saving myself a great deal
of work.

Any eca and non-eca solutions would be helpful.

TIA

Leo