eci / ecamonitor / -ev

Subject: eci / ecamonitor / -ev
From: Adam Linson (adam_AT_semioweb.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 15:48:06 EET

hello,

i finally comprehended the point of ECI, and the recent
ecamonitor/daemon combination have also greatly furthered my cause (the
community was obviously ahead of me on those things).

so here is my question:

is it possible to "harvest" the values from "-ev" for use in an ECI
implementation?

concretely: in the ECI example at
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/html_ecidoc/eci_doc.html
the sample position is checked, and a conditional command is issued,
depending on the sample position. is it possible, with ECI, to check
various amplitude statistics (as with "-ev"/ecamonitor) and use (the
many aspects of) that information in conditions for issuing commands as
well?

my guess is that it's a bit tricky, since the normal EIAM "-ev" waits
for the sample to finish ("wait_for_stop ok"), and only with ecamonitor
am i able to check the "-ev" values on a quasi-real-time basis.
(somehow, there is a metaquestion here about the relation of ECI to
ecamonitor.)

i hope there is a "real" way, but otherwise, any tips on a
workaround/hack to do it anyways (in a local machine,
totally-non-standards-compliant kinda way)?

many thanks,
adam