Re: [ecasound] FLAC

Subject: Re: [ecasound] FLAC
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 01:39:47 EET

On 17 Oct 2002, Nolan J. Darilek wrote:

> I currently use FLAC (http://flac.sourceforge.net) as my format of
> choice for archiving audio before conversion to various formats. How
> difficult would it be to add FLAC support to Ecasound? I wish I was

Depends on the level of support. Full-support (using libflac or libflac++)
will involve quite a lot of work. A fork+pipe support (as is the case with
mp3, ogg and others) would be easier, but you would lose in functionality
(things like seeking are difficult to implement if using pipes). I don't
have time to do this just now (at least not before 2.2.0), but I made an
edi of it anyway:

(edi-32): FLAC support.
         - submitted: nolan_d, 17.10.2002

I also made another audio-i/o related edi:

(edi-33): Libsndfile support.
         - submitted: kaiv, 29.10.2002

Libsndfile seems to just keep on improving, and is used in a lot of apps.
My plan is not to make it a required component, but use it to provide
support for more exotic fileformats.

Btw; If you look at http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/ ...
     it might be that in the future we could get vorbis and
     flac support through libsndfile...