Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] boolean and small-choice values?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 00:43:50 EEST

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Mario Lang wrote:

> So what about equivalent *-descriptions commands?
> cop-number. "description",arg1_type,arg1_default,arg1_low,arg1_high;"description",argN_type,...

I've just implemented 'cop-descriptions', 'ctrl-descriptions',
'ladspa-descriptions' and 'preset-descriptions'. These
all output the info using the same syntax (see ecasound-iam(1)
man page for details, it's not the same as you've proposed
above). These are now in CVS.

Comments are welcome! :)

> Not sure how to expose a choice-arg. Is this info available,
> like the waveform selection copps we have?

These are parameters with the integer-flag set to true. The
parameter description usually contain the explanations
(see for instance 'ladspa-descriptions' and for instance
'analogueOsc' plugin. Hmm, well, why don't I just copy&paste it here
(beware, not meant for human readers :)):

--cut--
analogueOsc,Analogue Osciallator,Analogue Osciallator,4,Waveform (1=sin 2=tri 3=squ 4=saw),,1.00,1,4.00,1,1.00,0,1,0,0,Frequency (Hz),Waveform (1=sin 2=tri 3=squ 4=saw),440.00,1,22005.90,1,0.00,0,0,0,0,Warmth,Frequency (Hz),0.00,1,1.00,1,0.00,0,0,0,0,Instability,Warmth,0.00,1,1.00,1,0.00,0,0,0,0
--cut--

Yup, all on one line. :)

>> - description (longer version of name)
> this longer description, is it exposed already? never saw that.

Wasn't, but is now. Although in most cases it's just repeats
the name.

> I'd suggest we leave *-register like it is, to also not
> break backward compatibility, and add a *-description command
> which produces basicly the same numbered list, but with the
> descriptive stuff, like type, bounds, defaults, and so on.
[...]
> Is this possible/easy?

Well, it wasn't very difficult after all. Most of the time went to writing
the ecasound-iam documentation. :)

> Given the fact that 2.2.0 will only have ECI as preferred
> (only?) way of accessing ecasound, I stronlgy hope this
> can go in before the release...

That's a very good point.