Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-pre2

Subject: Re: [ecasound] development release: 2.2.0-pre2
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 13:51:53 EEST

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

> IMO, it is really bad practice for bleeding-edge versions to rely on some
> other bleeding-edge versions. That combination makes the probability of

Well, yes, at least if you want other people to use the software. :)

> compiling OK very small. The bugfix for ecasound I think should be
> "next on the line" is to make sure it compiles with latest "standard"
> version of ALSA (even better if it compiles with older ALSA versions
> also) and with older gcc compilers, i.e. 2.95.* etc. I prefer stability

This is a valid point. And this is the line I've tried to keep with
ecasound. Ecasound relies only on very few external libraries, and you can
compile it even on very old Linux boxes. Even using gcc is not required.
You can compile 2.2.0-pre2 with Solaris' Workshop 5.2 compiler. So this is
something that is very important to me.

But applying this to ALSA support has not been easy. Ecasound has had
different ALSA plugins for ALSA 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 and now 0.9, and many
ecasound versions have support multiple ALSA plugins. With 2.2.0 I hope
to just support ALSA 0.9, which will become the standard once the new
Linux kernel is released.

In this case I thought I could skip supporting old 0.9 release candidates,
but I guess you are right, the fact is that at the moment 0.9rc3 is the
latest release and does not contain the new hwparams-API
ecasound-2.2.0-pre1 requires. Oh well, I'll revert this change and release
2.2.0-pre3.