edi-30 progress

Subject: edi-30 progress
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 21:59:53 EEST

I've now committed all major edi-30 related changes
to the CVS-tree. The changes are quite large, so testing
is again needed. So far I've tested building and
basic functionality on following machines (distro, arch, compiler):

- monster-redhat (mixture of 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x
  packages), x86-smp, gcc-3.2
- redhat-8.0, x86-smp, gcc-3.2
- sunos 5.8, ultra-250, sun-workshop-5.2
- debian testing/unstable, alpha ev56, gcc-2.95.4

Let me know if you experience any odd behaviour. I've
also updated the ecamegapedal and ecawave CVS-trees to
match the new ecasound build arrangements.

So far I've received suprisingly little negative feedback
concerning these changes. I admit that in a way, edi-30 is
a huge step backwards. Especially letting the internal-plugin
system go was a really difficult decision to make. Another big
problem is that due to the static linkage, the ecasound binaries
(especially in ecatools) now take a lot of disk-space. This
situation will improve as the existing apps are converted to ECI,
but it will take time.

Comments, both negative and positive, are welcome! :)

PS If you're at the moment wondering what the heck is edi-30 ;), see
   http://cvs.seul.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb-1.80.cgi/sound/ecasound/Documentation/edi-30.txt?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup