Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 18:35:24 EEST

On 7 Oct 2002, Nathan Stewart wrote:

> I dunno if this is related, but if the vorbis plugin crashes if it ever
> gets an empty buffer. I chalked it up to Vorbis' variable bit rate
> scheme freaking out on something that was never supposed to happen, but
> when you mentioned this I figured it'd be best to surface it anyways.

Hmm, can you describe this in more detail? Ecasound's ogg-input code
indeed raises an error if it gets zero bytes after a read from ogg-stream,
but it shouldn't crash. This is considered to be an error, as ecasound
uses blocking reads to get the data (ie. wait until X bytes are available
and then read).

> What constitutes all input tracks being "finished"? I'm just wondering
> if my gate would look like things were "finished" while they're shut
> down. I didn't have any problems that I recall when I just recorded wav
> files in this manner.

Your gate would just stop getting data (ie. its process function would not
be called), or it would get buffers filled with silence. "finished" status
just means that an audio input's current position is greater or equal than
its length. So in other words all its data has been already processed.