Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] goodbye to dynamic libraries...?
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:23:39 EEST

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 01:55:19 +0300 (EEST)
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> wrote:

> 4. Improvement Proposal
>
> Inspired by the recent work on standalone ECI implementations, I'd like to
> drop the whole ecasound-as-a-platform concept, and instead, continue
> developing ecasound as an application. Only supported way of using
> ecasound as a development platform would be ECI.

Since I haven't been using nothing but ECI, I have no objections to this. :)

> 5. Implications
>
> - only one code-branch (no more separate stable and development
> releases; just releases and CVS-access for bleeding-edge development)

Propably good idea.

> - removal of all shared libraries (libkvutils and libecasound)
> - ecasound binary would be statically linked against libkvutils
> and libecasound, but dynamically against other libraries
> - ecatools have to be rewritten using ECI (otherwise
> we'd have too many multi-megabyte binaries :))
> - ecawave and ecamegapedal have to be linked statically (this
> isn't that big of a problem, I'm quite sure the few people
> on this planet that use all these three apps can
> sacrifice the harddrive space for three copies of libecasound
> and libkvutils

Since there have been a few "oh, and this breaks ecawave and ecamegapedal" 's, I think this will be a welcome improvement over current state of affairs.
(the libs are not that big?)

janne