[ecasound] "Device busy" w/ multitrack capture on Delta-66

Subject: [ecasound] "Device busy" w/ multitrack capture on Delta-66
From: Daniel G. Epstein (dgepstein_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 03:27:57 EEST

Greetings,

I recently posted a request to the alsa-users list for a sample of an
asoundrc to use with the ice1712 chip. Looking back on it, I think the
message was probably too vague to get a response, so I'll clarify it a
bit here. Also, while I suspect the problem to be in my ALSA
configuration, I'm using ecasound and this may be more appropriately
directed there, hence the cross-post.

I have an M-Audio Omnistudio with the Delta-66 card with which I am
trying to use ecasound-2.1-dev11 and ALSA-0.9.0rc3 to simultaneously
record live audio from the first two input channels to two separate
files in the following manner:

ecasound -r -b:256 -f:16,1,44100 \
 -a:1 -i alsa,ice1712_ch1 -o vocals.wav \
 -a:2 -i alsa,ice1712_ch2 -o guitar.wav

However, this fails with a "device busy" error. I get the proper
behavior when I call either chain 1 or 2 separately, resulting in a
file with either vocals or guitar . And calling "ecasound -r -b:256
-f:16,2,44100 -i alsa,ice1712 -o both.wav" results in a wav with both
tracks recorded to one file. I can also chain together the playback of
multiple files with the recording of a single track, and output any
combination thereof to card 0 (I have no monitors for the Delta-66).
This makes me suspect my ALSA config.

I have the following entries defined in ~/.asoundrc:

pcm.ice1712 {
        type hw
        card 1
}
ctl.ice1712 {
        type hw
        card 1
}
pcm.ice1712_ch1 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm ice1712
        ttable.0.0 1
}
ctl.ice1712_ch1 {
        type hw
        card 1
}
pcm.ice1712_ch2 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm ice1712
        ttable.0.1 1
}
ctl.ice1712_ch2 {
        typw hw
        card 1
}

My understanding is that it should be possible for me simultaneously to
record four channels of analog audio input, and two of digital, to
separate files on the machine with a Delta-66, I've just only mentioned
the two here for brevity. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Dan

--
A boast of "I have been's,"  | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,  |