Re: [ecasound] gate (-gc) retriggering?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] gate (-gc) retriggering?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 01:27:30 EEST

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

On 28 Jul 2002, Nathan Stewart wrote:

> I'm trying to do some data logging using ecasound, and I just about have
> ecasound doing what I want (after I punted on asoundrc and just went
> with oss compatability). I'm trying to do some gate (truncation) of two
> independent channels, with the results merged into one log file. My
> problem now is that I need the gates to retrigger, which doesn't appear
> to be supported. Is there any way to do this? (While I'm wishing, it'd
> be way cool if I could trigger the gate on level, but keep it open based
> on time.)

This is not currently possible, so a new gate type needs to be added.
Fortunately this isn't that difficult. If you look at the code of current
ecasound gates (ecasound/libecasound/audiogate.cpp), it is quite
straightforward (all gate related code is under 200 lines of C++).

PS I read through the related thread on linux-audio-dev. As
   mentioned there, LADSPA plugins cannot provide similar functionality
   as they can't drop samples like ecasound's gate operators can.