Re: [ecasound] Trouble building/installing on Mandrake 9.0-beta

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Trouble building/installing on Mandrake 9.0-beta
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 17:07:18 EEST

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Eric Amundsen wrote:

> I just upgraded from Mandrake 8.0 to 9.0-beta and I can't get ecasound
> to build or install. It looks like ecasound is not happy with higher
> lever versions of libraries. How can I fix this?

This problem is most probably caused by use of gcc-3.1 in 9.0-beta (I'm
not sure about the version number, but some newer 3.x gcc). Also Redhat's
8.x-beta has gcc-3.x. Ecasound 2.1devX compiles fine with these gcc
versions (I'm already using gcc-3.1 as my primary compiler), but compiling
older ecasound versions (2.0.x) requires some extra work...

> [root_AT_localhost root]# rpm --rebuild ecasound-2.0.4-1.src.rpm
[...]
> checking for map.h... no
> configure: error: C++ header files not found! Searched for 'map.h' (STL).
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.52410 (%build)

Hmm, you could try building 2.0.4 from the sources with these
extra steps:

- 'tar zxvf ecasound-2.0.4.tar.gz'
- 'cd ecasound-2.0.4'
- 'pico/vi/someothereditor configure.in' and make the following change:
   old: AC_MSG_ERROR([C++ header files not found! Searched for 'map.h' (STL).])
   new: AC_MSG_WARN([C++ header files not found! Searched for 'map.h' (STL).])
- 'autoconf'
- './configure ; make'
- 'make install' (as root)

You get quite a few warnings from gcc-3.1, but it does compile ok. The
long-term solution is getting ecasound-2.2.0 released. It has been under
development for over a year now... in other words 2.0.x is starting to
show its age. I might do one more 2.0.x release, but before I can do that,
I need to find some fairly standard rh-6.x machine to build the rpms. My
current machine is a weird mix of rh-5.x, rh-6.x, rh-7.x and rh-8.x-beta
with lots and lots of compiled-from-source apps and libraries (read: it's
a mess ;)).