Re: [ecasound] improving the multitracking experience

Subject: Re: [ecasound] improving the multitracking experience
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 23:53:26 EEST

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, janne halttunen wrote:

>> ... now one obvious solution is that someone writes an ardour-like
>> interface on top of libecasound. Sounds nice, but unfortunately I don't
>> see this happening, ever. And especially as we have ardour, what's the
>> point?
> Though I have not ever tested ardour, I gather it's aimed at more of a
> high end audio system. And then ecasound, if not specifically aimed at,
> fulfils the role of the audio multitracker for middle and low end
> systems. So Kai, I guess you just have to downgrade to your crappy old

Yup, and my "what's the point" was only about writing an ardour-style
interface to ecasound. Otherwise I don't think there's that much overlap
with ecasound and ardour. And this is partly intentional. I've been on the
same mailing lists with Paul for years now (and now we both work on JACK),
so I'm very well aware of what's happening with ardour. ;)

And I don't actually want the differing aspect to be high-end vs low-end.
At least for me the most important thing is the interface. Having all my
mixes as script files that I can edit with emacs is something I still
prefer over cubase/protools/cakewalk/etc style approach.

> this case, I think is the way to go. Not to say it would be easy, the
> frontends would have to be constructed very carefully. They'd have to
> constantly reflect the current state of ecasound engine (in other words,
> a frontend should be aware that it is possibly not the only one
> manipulating the engine). Of course plain status apps would not have

And for many apps it doesn't make sense to allow other apps to access the
same session. For instance ecamegapedal and ecawave probably won't allow
other apps to access their session. These kinds of apps aren't really
frontends. They are standalone apps that just happen to be implemented
using libecasound. But this just means that we don't need to worry about
these cases.