Re: [ecasound] Multitrack recording hangs!

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Multitrack recording hangs!
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 23:28:19 EEST

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

> YES, I have read the former articles regarding this kind of problems, but
> even I compiled ecasound in my RedHat Linux 7.3 (*) with the
> --disable-ncurses option, there remains a problem that while single track
> playback and recording work OK, multitrack recording by

Hmm, this is probably a different issue than the now legendary
hang-when-adding-chains bug.

> ecasound -c -b:256 -r -f:16,2,44100 \
> -a:1 -i janet_drums.wav -o /dev/dsp \
> -a:2 -i /dev/dsp -o janet_misc.wav
[...]
> fails to such a hangup that it doesn't open the output channels at all and
> does not respond to commands like 't', 's' or 'q' who should, of course
> be "normal" ecasound interactive mode commands. From this situation it is
> still possible to exit by Ctrl-C, but after trying this, it has couple of
> times happened that trying to use ecasound anymore locks my computer so
> rock-hard that it does not respond to neither the keyboard nor the mouse
> at all! Making, in fact, the file-system-consuming cold boot necessary...

If this happens, drop the '-r' or don't run with root privileges. With
root and '-r' ecasound runs with rt-priority. If something goes wrong when
in this mode, ecasound can bring the machine down (only reset helps). This
is unfortunate, but required for ultra-reliable low-latency operation.
If you get a hang like this without root or -r, then something is _badly_
wrong (kernel/driver bug).

Do you get hangs if you run "ecasound -b:256 -i /dev/dsp -o /dev/dsp"?