Re: [ecasound] compile problems against readline-4.2a

Subject: Re: [ecasound] compile problems against readline-4.2a
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 20:36:43 EEST

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, martijn wrote:

> I just discovered that readline-4.2a has been released and finally ecasound
> can compile against the systems readline lib again :-) it only needs the
> included patch (diffed against a cvs checkout of ecasound).

Ok, with gcc-3.1 you need even more changes to eca-text.cpp to make it
compile against the new readline (which seems to be included in rh7.3).
Anyways, I just committed the changes to CVS and ecasound should once
again compile against old and new versions of readline in addition to its
own 4.0 copy.

I also tried upgrading the internal copy, but as it requires autoconf 2.50
(and I'm too lazy to modify the readline package myself), I'll postpone
this a bit. Maybe at some point we can start defaulting to sys-readline
and drop the copy of realine.

> Don't know if someone else has run into trouble with compiling ecatools. I
> had to manually add -lstd++ to 'LIBS=...' in ecatools/Makefile to get it
> compiling... Maybe it's because of my own tampering with my build
> environment, while trying to get everything working with gcc-3.0.2... (not
> that i've reached any success, ecasound compile stops with problems like
> 'undefined versioned symbol name __register_frame_info@@GLIBC_2.0' while i'm
> using glibc-2.2.4 :( ...). The missing '-lstd++' error was with gcc-2.95.2
> though...

This is a bit complicated. C++ programs get implicitly linked to libstd++,
but ecalength (which is part of ecatools) is a C program so it doesn't get
linked against it. However it uses libecasound (through libecasoundc) so
the resulting binary will need libstdc++. I resolved this by turning
ecalength into a C++ program (ie. changing the .c->.cpp). Now the linking
works ok.

If we linked libecasoundc explicitly against libstdc++, libtool would
manage to track the dependencies correctly, but this would again break
building ecasound on non-gcc compilers (for instance Solaris). So quite a
mess really.