Re: [ecasound] Compiling ecasound on OS X

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Compiling ecasound on OS X
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 23:15:09 EET

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> Hi, I've been trying to compile ecasound on Mac OS X 10.1.2, 320MB RAM,

Btw; ecasound compiles under FreeBSD, so OSX shouldn't be impossible.

> Fink by default installs in /sw (ie. /sw/bin, /sw/include, /sw/lib, etc)
> rather than /usr/local. I spent a few hours without figuring out how to get
> ./configure to look at /sw/lib to find ncurses (which fink installs but is
> not on the system as part of OS X).

You could always try setting prefix to /sw, ie. "./configure
--prefix=/sw".

Another way is to just disable curses. It's not used for much. You can do
this with "./configure --disable-ncurses".

> c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I.. -I../kvutils -O2 -D_REENTRANT
> -DNDEBUG -ffast-math -fstrict-aliasing -funroll-loops -c audioio-rtnull.cpp
> -o audioio-rtnull.o
> audioio-rtnull.cpp: In method `long int REALTIME_NULL::read_samples(void *,
> long int)':
> audioio-rtnull.cpp:110: implicit declaration of function `int
> nanosleep(...)'

This is weird. nanosleep() is part of POSIX.1b standard so it should be
available in OSX. You could try replacing instance of nanosleep with
usleep() (or whatever is installed). nanosleep() is only used in a few
places.

> At this point I'm thinking it is beyond my ability to make work. I am a Java
> programmer, so I'll have a bit of a look, but I don't hold out much hope.

Generally the difficult areas are:

- threading
- timers
- scheduling

Ecasound uses the POSIX APIs for these functions, but they are not
available on all platform or on some platform linkign to some special
library is needed. For instance, check ecasound's configure.in for string
"bsd" and you'll find at least one place where extra steps have
been taken.

> The configure log looked like it was not compiling support for ALSA, OSS,
> etc, which is fine - I don't want to talk to sound drivers at the moment, I

Yup, ecasound can be compiled (and used) without support for soundcard
drivers. At some point I might add support for PortAudio, which is
a crossplatform audio API that is available for both Linux and OSX
(among many other platforms). See http://www.portaudio.com/