[ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] dealing with capture latency in a JACK system

Subject: [ecasound] Re: [Jackit-devel] dealing with capture latency in a JACK system
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_uu.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 20:54:54 EET

In the new year, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Jeremy Hall wrote:
>
> > ok, so maybe the first sample is recorded at the correct time, but I do
> > not have a word clock in my head. Because the musician is ultimately
> > attempting to clock against the prerecorded signal, as human error is
> > introduced on each track, the true timing is watered down to the point
> > that after 3 or 4 runs, you may ask yourself:
> > did I just sing a few ms early that time, or is the real time that early?
>
> This just shouldn't happen. Even after recording those 3 or 4 tracks, you
> still have the original monitor track to compare to. Because each new take
> is recorded against this track, no cumulative timing errors should occur.

yes, each take is recorded against this track, but there are others
playing at the same time--I have noticed if I record vocals separately
without being able to hear former runs, the mixing job is much harder in
the end because I am unable to work with what I just did and partially mix
against material already recorded.

put simpler

I have 4 vocal parts and a piano, usually I'll record the piano first then
start with a single vocal part. That part depends on what kind of mood I
am in. The second time around, for the second vocal, I will again use the
piano as the monitor track, but because of this offset, I do not include
the first vocal run in the monitor track. I repeat this step until the end
and hope everything turns out ok when I bring up the other vocal
parts. It would be nice to be able to introduce each vocal part as it was
recorded on the previous run, but that introduces the human factor.

> >> paths to/from the soundcard). And in some cases, musicians without a sense
> >> of rhythm. ;)
> > I have a sense of rhythm. I am speaking from my own experience and
>
> Hopefully you did notice the smiley. :)

yes, I noticed. :-)

_J