Re: [ecasound] pyecasound/eiam problem

Subject: Re: [ecasound] pyecasound/eiam problem
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:37:14 EET

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Bill Allen wrote:

> I've written the following pyecasound script, but I'm confused by the
> output. (The script isn't meant to do anything in this form, except

Few things that might help:

1) using "alsa" device from pyecasound

To use ALSA 0.9 audio objects from pyecasound, you need python2.2. In
addition, you need to add the following to the beginning of your python
program (before importing pyeca):

--cut--
import sys
import DLFCN
sys.setdlopenflags(DLFCN.RTLD_LAZY|DLFCN.RTLD_GLOBAL)
--cut--

Ecasound 2.1dev8 (current-CVS) and newer do the above automatically if
you are using python2.2.

2) using debug output from pyecasound

Add "e.command("debug 15")" to start of your pyecasound app. This usually
helps to understand what is going on. It also worth check to 'e.error()'
after issuing 'aio-add'.

> second. Looking at the output (below the script), you'll see that in the
> case of "/dev/dsp" the chain looks fine, but in the "alsa,default" case,
> no input appears.
[...]>
> On a related note, I have observed in interactive mode:
[...]
> ecasound ('h' for help)> ai-add 'alsa,default'
> (eca-control) ERROR: ECA-CHAINSETUP: "Format of input 'alsa not
> recognized."

Single quotes are not supported by the parser (hmm, should this be
changed?). So use one of

ai-add alsa,default
ai-add "alsa,default"

... instead.