Re: [ecasound] Something's badly wrong with ecasound!

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Something's badly wrong with ecasound!
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 02:59:15 EET

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> my local libtool documentation seems to say that linking with *.la
> is the right thing to do, and gives this as an example:
[...]
> lightside:~% libtool cc a.o libbaz.la -o a -lm
> cc a.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib \
> .libs/libbaz.so -o .libs/a -lm

Yup, but that's linking a executable, not a library. When you're
linking a library, this happens:

/usr/bin/libtool --mode=link c++ -D_REENTRANT -g -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -ffast-math -DENABLE_DBC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -o libecasound_debug.la -rpath
/home/kaiv/apps/eca/lib -export-dynamic -version-info 8:0:0 audiofx.lo
audiofx_misc.lo audiofx_amplitude.lo audiofx_compressor.lo
audiofx_analysis.lo audiofx_envelope_modulation.lo audiofx_filter.lo
audiofx_rcfilter.lo audiofx_reverb.lo audiofx_timebased.lo audiogate.lo
audiofx_mixing.lo audiofx_ladspa.lo audio-stamp.lo audioio-cdr.lo
audioio-ewf.lo audioio-mp3.lo audioio-ogg.lo audioio-wave.lo audioio.lo
audioio-buffered.lo audioio-device.lo audioio-raw.lo audioio-mikmod.lo
audioio-rtnull.lo audioio-loop.lo audioio-forked-stream.lo
audioio-timidity.lo audioio-proxy-server.lo audioio-proxy-buffer.lo
audioio-buffered-proxy.lo audioio-typeselect.lo audioio-reverse.lo
audioio-oss.lo midi-server.lo midi-client.lo midi-parser.lo midiio.lo
midiio-raw.lo generic-controller.lo midi-cc.lo osc-gen.lo osc-gen-file.lo
osc-sine.lo linear-envelope.lo two-stage-linear-envelope.lo stamp-ctrl.lo
generic-linear-envelope.lo eca-chain.lo eca-engine.lo samplebuffer.lo
eca-session.lo eca-resources.lo resource-file.lo eca-comhelp.lo
eca-debug.lo layer.lo samplebuffer_iterators.lo eca-version.lo
eca-operator.lo eca-object-factory.lo eca-chainsetup.lo
eca-chainsetup-bufparams.lo eca-chainsetup-parser.lo
eca-chainsetup-position.lo eca-control.lo eca-control-base.lo
eca-control-objects.lo eca-control-dump.lo eca-iamode-parser.lo
eca-control-interface.lo eca-audio-position.lo eca-audio-format.lo
eca-audio-time.lo eca-fileio-stream.lo eca-fileio-mmap.lo
eca-static-object-maps.lo preset.lo file-preset.lo eca-object-map.lo
eca-preset-map.lo global-preset.lo ../kvutils/libkvutils_debug.la -ldl -lm
-lpthread
libtool: link: error: cannot link shared libraries into libtool libraries

... libtool docs state the following:

--cut--
A more complex implementation of this concept was re-introduced before
release 1.3, but it has not been ported to all platforms that libtool
supports. The default, conservative behavior is to avoid linking one
library with another, introducing their inter-dependencies only when a
program is linked with them.
--cut--

The above is from:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/libtool/html_chapter/libtool_8.html#SEC39

Older versions of ecasound tricked libtool by linking directly against the
.so files in libtools hidden .libs directory. This worked, but is not
supported by libtool. I'm not sure what's the best alternative here... :(