Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0.4 released!

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0.4 released!
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 02:13:08 EET

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Tobiah wrote:

> Ok, I thought that this might be a bug with 2.0.3, so I got 2.0.4.
> It insists that it doesn't understand the input format 'alsa'.
> I read some posts about the plugin path in the .ecsoundrc, but
> it does point to a dir /usr/local/lib/ecasound-plugins/
> and there are a bunch of libraries in there, including *alsa* ones.

A quick way to check for ALSA support:

echo aio-register |ecasound -c |grep alsa

If you don't get any entries, something has gone wrong.

> I noticed that when I did 'make install' with 2.0.4 the end of the
> script indicated that alsa support was not enabled. I never
> had to do anything strange before to get alsa working with previous
> versions of ecasound, but I tried (after puffing entire directory
> and re-opening source tar ball) doing --enable-alsa. Still the
> script displayed that alsa was not configured.

Look for the lines:

checking for main in -lasound... yes
checking for snd_pcm_plug_open in -lasound... yes

... in the ./configure output.

> Last problem is that I run a dual boot with windows, and I make 24/96000
> files with n-track studio, and Soundforge 5.0. It turns out that
> ecasound can't read 24 bit files from either windows application, and
> neither windows app can read ecasound's 24 bit files. They actually
> load fine in either direction, but the result is noise. They sound
> they way they might with an 'endian' problem, but I rather doubt that it
> is that simple.

This is interesting. Can you provide me an example file created with
n-track, so I could take a look (possibly put it on the web so I can
download it; big files and email are not a good mix)?

Btw; the endianess thing is quickly checked:

[ as 'typeselect' was added in 2.1, with 2.0 you need to rename
  the .wav file to .raw ]

ecasound -f:s24_le,1,44100 -i test.raw -f:s24_le,1,44100 -o alsa,default"
ecasound -f:s24_be,1,44100 -i test.raw -f:s24_le,1,44100 -o alsa,default"

One possibility is that n-track uses different layout for 24bit
samples. Ecasound (and ALSA and most soundcards) handle 24bit samples
as 32bit samples with one zero-padded byte. Have you tried saving in s32
format? It should take the same amount of diskspace.