Re: [ecasound] strange compiler behaviour

Subject: Re: [ecasound] strange compiler behaviour
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 14:16:38 EET

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Gilles van Eeden wrote:

> [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> --
>
> Before generating this error, the compiler shows quite strange behaviour
> indeed. It starts swapping like crazy, flooding my memory (164 MB total), and
> CPU usage drops to 1.5%.... this condition lasts for about 2 hours, before it
> finally runs out of memory.
>
> What's up? Compiler bug? I've *never* seen this kind of thing happening
> before in any configuration. My system: fresh Mandrake8.1, PII300, 64MB,
> 100MB swap.

First, I suggest you install egcs-1.1.2 and related cpp and c++ packages.
I myself also removed the gcc-2.9.6 bunch to make sure it was not being
used. This led to some dependency problems, like XFree86-devel needed
file /lib/cpp from gcc-cpp package, but by using rpm --nodeps and manually
linking the cpp from ecgs-cpp to /lib, to my knowledge, solved the problem.
Also I had to manually link kg++ to g++, and kgcc to gcc in /usr/bin/ .

Now then. In my system (P200, 32MB, <100MB swap) I am still unable to
compile ecasound with optimization level '-O2'. I have to change the
level in file configure.in to '-O', and run: aclocal; automake; autoconf
then: ./configure, etc...

If your system can handle '-O2', use it, I am told that it creates much
faster binaries.

janne