Re: [ecasound] ecawave configure.in modification

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecawave configure.in modification
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 00:25:00 EET

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I have done the following modification to configure.in of ecawave,
> because the original configure.in worked in an unexpected way such that
> it overrides the expected behavior, when called like:
[...]
> CXXFLAGS="-O0 -mieee" ./configure; make; make install

This has one problem. The overriding CXXFLAGS might be missing some
options crucial to correct operation.

> if test x$CXXFLAGS = x; then
> CXXFLAGS="-O2 -D_REENTRANT -DNDEBUG -ffast-math"
> fi

For instance not specifying '-D_REENTRANT' is asking for trouble.
How about CXXFLAGS="-O2 -D_REENTRANT ... $CXXFLAGS"

If there are multiple -O definitions in CXXFLAGS, gcc will use the last
one. I believe contradictory -m options are handled in the same way.

> However, I would say, use of -DNDEBUG here is wrong, and something
> needs to be done.

Hmm, why? You get debug with --enable-debug, which results in:

CXXFLAGS="-D_REENTRANT -DENABLE_DBC -g -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic"

PS Whatever we decide to do, same changes should probably go
   to ecasound and ecamegapedal configure.in's.