Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 00:13:07 EET

OK, this seemed so very interesting that I actually fetched jack and
started messing with it and the ecasound plugin. The first version never
worked for me but the new one works nicely. Simple playback is just
fine, at least for a traditional 2 channels 44.1 khz file. I can also do
full duplex reliably enough, though with a bit more latency than with
ecasound's native alsa plugin or ardour. I was most interested in the
full duplex side of things as I can't currently get reliable full duplex
processing from ecasound, it works fine but the sound grows garbled
after about ten minutes. Unfortunately I experience the exact same
problem when using jackd to read/write from/to the alsa device, it seems
only ardour is able to provide me with reliable full duplex. (By
full-duplex I mean reading data from the capture device and writing it
right back to the playback device, rt processing maybe is a better
term.) Also, with a command such as:
# ecasound -i:jack_alsa,in -o:jack_alsa,out -c
As I said things work just find at start up, the connecting of the cs
goes well and so does the starting of the engine. However whenever I try
to stop the engine in any way causing, I assume, the jack manager to
attempt disconnecting the client, ecasound hangs. Sending a sigint
results in a "troubles while shutting down" warning and nothing more;
sending sigterm or sigquit results in ecasound spewing a few screenfulls
of "pure virtual method called" and then in a segfault.

BTW, I was wondering, when running both jackd and ecasound with raised
priority, which should be set with the higher priority?