[ecasound] EDI Proposal

Subject: [ecasound] EDI Proposal
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 18:02:18 EET

Hi,

I'd like to propose a big EDI: To rewrite the alsa3 stuff in its most
part if not from scratch.

Ok, so that's something rather big (at least if done with a bit of
thought behind it.). The main reason that I see is that the current
implementation is a port of the alsa2 stuff that was made in the days of
0.6 and then patched up as alsa's API evolved; this is bound to
create bugs for a start and then it also makes it so that ecasound
doesn't take advantage of the most recent features introduced in the 0.9
series. Already some oddities and deficiencies are appearing like the
low samplerate bug which is a bit annoying. The current implementation
works fine in most cases still, at least for me, it seems to bring bad
drawbacks: I can't do fullduplex operations (like fx processing) for
more than ten or fifteen minutes before the sound starts degrading
significantly, a problem which isn't present at all with ardour.
(BTW, last time I checked ardour was using the mmapped areas scheme to talk
with alsa... and let's not forget the ctl interface.)

I've looked a bit into it but then this begins to be a bit too
lowlevelish (nice word) for me, besides, not knowing C++ doesn't help
there...

Also the API is fairly stable now and well documented, you probably all
know but for the sake of reference here's the address to the current
alsa API docs:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib

So, that was my EDI proposal, what do you think?