Re: [ecasound] largefile update

Subject: Re: [ecasound] largefile update
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 23:51:11 EET

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, The Anarcat wrote:

>> Disabling optimizations and static libraries speeds up the compilation a
>> lot, although the resulting binaries are not that usable (debug versions
> Doesn't the debugging info take more time to compile?

True. Removing -g from CXXFLAGS would still speed up the compilation, but
probably not that much. The important thing with --enable-debug is that is
disables all optimizations. Gcc is _really_ slow with optimizing C++ code.
On the other hand, the speed difference between optimized and unoptimized
C++ code _is_ quite notable, so positively thinking it's time well
spent.:)

[ecacompiletest.sh]
>> The above script takes 6min12sec to complete on my 466Mhz dual-celeron.
> Then it should take around 48 hours on my 166MMX single-pentium. ;)

Took 41min57.93sec on my P166MMX. :)