[ecasound] largefile story continues

Subject: [ecasound] largefile story continues
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 17:26:20 EET

I've just committed a set of changes which should fix compile problems
with glibc2.2. I'm interested in hearing whether the current CVS-tree now:

- compiles on a glibc-2.2 system without --with-largefile
- ----------- "---------------- with --with-largefile
- same tests on other UNIX systems (FreeBSD, Debian ports,
  any non-linux-but-still-unix systems you can get your hands on :))

I'm especially puzzled by the fseek/ftell problem. It seems that there is
no standard way to get/set the numerical position of a 64bit file on a
32bit platform just using the C/C++ standard libraries. This means that to
work on 64bit files, you either need a real 64bit platform, or you need to
use the routines that are part of Single Unix specification (or other
non-C/C++ extension).

In other words, this seems like a very common problem, which must have
been solved at least a million times in various sw-packages... hmm, this
might need some investigation.