Re: [ecasound] edl-light ?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] edl-light ?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 22:05:28 EET

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Jeremy Hall wrote:

>> - adding support for Ardour's edl-format - this should be quite
>> straighforward task, just needs someone to do it
> but can ecasound properly play two things at the same time in the same
> chane? and the other thing is the region design is still under
> development. Its concepts don't seem to be changing too drastically,
> though, but you have to be able to crossfade, which is something I don't
> think ecasound does.

No problem. What 'support for ardour edl-files' means in practise is a new
ecasound audio i/o plugin (like aRts and ALSA plugins), which would be
linked against the ardour/quasimodo libraries. Ardour provides (last time
I checked) a read/write style interface for accessing the edl-data. In
other words we just ask for Ardour to produce x frame of sample data and
all the heavy-weight processing happens inside libardour (or whatever the
exact library).

But considering I still haven't managed to build ardour myself (although I
admit I haven't tried that seriously), I'm willing to wait until ardour
stabilizes a bit. But if someone else is interested, just go ahead!