[ecasound] Looking for mixing ideas

Subject: [ecasound] Looking for mixing ideas
From: Bill Allen (ballen_AT_mail.serve.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 18:29:52 EET

This really isn't an ecasound specific question, but I thought that since
I'm using ecasound for my mixing chores that maybe this list membership
would be able to give me the most useful advice.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to mix my tracks to obtain a good
sounding output. Let's say I've got 5 tracks: drums, bass, guitar, and
slide guitar and vocal. The obvious temptation is to spread the tracks
around the stereo field to achieve separation which seems desirable, but
on the other hand, I don't want instruments coming from one speaker, and
especially from one headphone. I guess the idea is to try to achieve a
"layered" sound so that instruments are separated, but with a large
footprint. The problem I have is that I can't figure out how to do this.
Or rather in my brief attempts, I haven't achieved this, so that's why I'm
asking - to get ideas from people who may have already figured this out,
rather than completely reinvent this wheel.

I'd love to see real .ecs files that people have used for their mixing
runs.

Thanks,

Bill