[ecasound] edl-light ?

Subject: [ecasound] edl-light ?
From: xavier.moulet_AT_free.fr_AT_free.fr
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 12:48:35 EET

Hi,

being a delighted user of ecasound, I would like to know if reading a edl-like
file has ever been considered.

In fact, what I am missing is basically the ability to specify a file, and a
list of (file, starting time in file, length, number of loops) elements in a
file, and let ecasound play those elements sequentially. That would make me
really happy because I could do multitrack editing a breeze be specifying N
files like that and arrange verses, bridges and so on easily.

May it be easy to extend the ecasound own fileformat to do this ? I _really_
think that would be a simple, useful feature. Technically, I don't know if
opening/seeking N files can be long, but as it is only replay, we could use
some quite large buffers.

What do you people think ? I have taken a look at ecasound implementation, and
I think that the most difficult thing may be to implement a library.

I considered usin .XM fileformat, but that would be overkill some time, and
wouldn't let me take one file and play it "out of order" without data
duplication, I think.