[ecasound] tangled chains

Subject: [ecasound] tangled chains
From: John Denker (jsd_AT_research.att.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 17:17:43 EET

Hi --

We are doing simultaneous play+record. This involves using two chains,
-a:Record and -a:Play. Within each chain, there are multiple channels.

We need to mix channels from one chain to the other, for instance to copy
channel 1 of the Play stream to channel 8 of the Record stream, and
subtract channel 2 of the Play stream from channel 7 of the Record stream.

Is there an easy way to do such things? Has anybody done anything similar?
 Specifically, we need a single piece of C++ code to have read/write-access
to one chain and (at least) read-access to another chain. This needs to be
done with exact chain-to-chain sync.

The ecasound command-line language does not appear to support cross-thread
mixing in any obvious way. We were a bit surprised by that. It seems like
a generally-useful feature.

We are happy to write the C++ code to implement the details of the
transformations we need, but we would rather learn from others rather than
figuring out the details of ecasound from scratch.

Any suggestions?