[ecasound] Insertion/Deletion

Subject: [ecasound] Insertion/Deletion
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid_AT_tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 00:12:06 EET

Hi,

I always had the impression that ecasound would let me do some basic
wave editing if I ever needed to; of course, not as precisely as a
graphical editor might but still well enough. Well need did come but I
hit a problem; I wanted to insert a short snippet of an audio file into
the middle of another, so I did something like:
$ ecasound -i:snippet.wav -o:file.wav -y:35 -t:4
It _did_ work, only it didn't insert but overwrote instead. :(

The only solution I see now is to (using either three commands or
iactive mode):
- Write the first part of file.wav to a new file (final.wav)
- Write the snippet to final.wav
- Then write the last part of the file

Similarly, if I wanted to cut a portion of a file in its middle I
would have no choice but to:
- Write first part.
- Write second part after having ai-fw'ed the object or used a greater
-y.

Of course, then it's still doable, but it seems a bit complicated for
what is a relatively common and simple thing... I was so sure that -X
would let me insert one file in another... Also, maybe something like
the exact opposite of -gc would be nice to cut parts of a file in a
very efficient way. Or am I just missing something?