Re: [ecasound] ecasound front end

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound front end
From: Luke Tindall (luke_AT_maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 12:37:22 EET

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 17:51, janne halttunen wrote:

> Hmm, from reading above, I see your project has many common points with my
> project, heteca (written with python, ECI and gtk). It is currently in
> pretty bad shape, though.

Yes I've used heteca a while back. What I really wanted to do is to get all
the features of say a cool edit pro gui with the strengths and flexibility of
the ecasound library. After getting the basic gui built, it would be easy to
add modules. I think ecasound will prove especially powerful at scripting
events.

> BTW, what version of gtk are you using?

1.2 I havn't looked at version 2 yet.

> I am thinking about installing the dev-version, so that when gtk reaches
> 2.0, I'd be there already. Though I'm not sure if the pygtk-bindings
> would provide some level of compatibility between the version change.
>
> What are your feelings of python? (or scripting-languages in general?)
> I mean, it does provide some useful abstractions, faster prototyping,
> [insert buzzword here], etc. They say: "use C for speed, python for
> control" - don't know whether it's true, (have never done it myself)
> but it might be.

I tend to use perl or bash for scripting and have only really glanced at
python. I've stuck with C for most of my coding days. One of the things we
need to sort out is the data. Writing a ecs parser in c was a pain in the
arse, python is probably better for this. If the data was better organised
the parse routines would be a breeze to develop. The major problem I found
was that all the ecs files always have the chain as the key. I would rather
parse for a key say, look out for e options or k options etc. I thought you
had the right idea with your suggestion for an xml style ecs file.
Personally I hope that we get the emt multi track format that Kai spoke of
recently. This way you'll get to the data quickly and the parser can be
simpler.