Re: [ecasound] wave file type

Subject: Re: [ecasound] wave file type
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 21:23:52 EEST

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Tobiah wrote:

> ln -s $FILENAME ecasound_temp$$.wav
> ecasound -d:0 ecasound_temp$$.wav -o:alsa,midiman
> rm ecasound_temp$$.wav
[...]
> ecasound -i:alsa,midiman -o:stdout -type:wave

Doh, there seems to be few bugs in typeselect in 2.1dev1 I thought. Fixed
in CVS. Unfortunately even with those fixes, ...

ecasound -i:alsa,midiman -o:typeselect,.wav,stdout

... still wouldn't work, because most ecasound's audio object types
require a valid filename as their first parameter.

With wav-files this is especially important as you need full file access
(with seek) to the wav-files. Ecasound needs to seek back after writing an
wav file to write the header with correct length. Otherwise the resulting
wav-file would be an invalid one. Because of this it's best to use
headerless formats like .raw and .cdr for one-way i/o like pipes.