Re: [ecasound] How to start a chain in a certain position?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] How to start a chain in a certain position?
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 13:40:56 EEST

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

> El Sáb 06 Oct 2001 04:40, escribiste:
> > On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm using Ecasound to make multitrack recordings. I've a little problem:
> > > I don't know how to make a chain to start (both recording and playing)
> > > in a certain position, different to 00:00.
> >
> > For what you need this for?
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I need to do is something like this:
> a- I have one stereo monitoring track (i.e. bass + drums + keyboards made
> with Soundtracker and exported to wav). Chain 1 (-a:1 -i /waves/song1.wav
> -o /dev/dsp). This chain should start in the begin, when I type "t" in
> the interactive mode.
> b- I need to record a stereo vocal track. Chain 2 (-a:2 -i /dev/dsp
> -o /waves/vocal1.wav). So this track should start 20 seconds after the
> monitoring track in order to save space on disk. This mean 20 seconds
> after I type "t" in the interactive mode.

I don't think this is possible, as it is, yet. If you are short of disk
space, then perhaps you can try to record the vocals in multiple different
sessions?

like:
1. start monitor-track with -y:0, record vocals until to a suitable point
(say 30 seconds).
2. cut the silence off from the beginning of the new vocal track with a
suitable tool (ecawave?).
3. make an ewf file of the new vocal track with 'offset' of the length of
the cutted part of wave (+value of the -y option).
4. repeat step 1 with -y option value 30.
5. repeat steps 2-3
6. automate the process if possible

Bit laborsome, but possible.

> ./ecasound -r-c -a:1 -i /waves/song1.wav -o /dev/dsp -a:2 -i /dev/dsp -o /waves/vocal1.wav
>
> I've tried with the option -y:20 and using ewf files with no success.

As far as I can see, the -y option or ewf file's options don't work on
realtime devices.

janne