Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0.3 released

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.0.3 released
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 21:12:43 EEST

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, William Goldsmith wrote:

> I'm using a more-or-less-stock install of RH 7.1. I followed the
> instructions on the website & downloaded the .src rpm & did the
> 'rpm --rebuild' command. It crunched away for a good 10 minutes before
[...]
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
> make[2]: *** [libpyecasound.la] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ecasound-2.0.3/pyecasound'

Doh, there's a bug in ecasound's rpm-spec file which causes builds to fail
on machines with certain python versions (or actually all python versions
but 2.0, the one I'm still using). Redhat comes with good ol' python 1.5,
so the build fails.

I just made a new set of 2.0.3 rpm (tar.gz not changed) and put them
online at ecasound's download page (ecasound-2.0.3-2.xxx.rpm). Now the
rebuild should work as advertised. ;)

One interesting thing to note is that this bug seems to have existed ever
since 1.8.5d15, the first version with pyecasound. So in other wors, since
07.12.2000 (!), rpm builds of ecasound have failed on machines with
incorrect python version (all redhats, etc). My guess is that this
problem has bitten quite a few people... so a lesson to learn from
this, sending bug reporst is a good thing. ;)