Re: [ecasound] ecawave vs gcc-3.0

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecawave vs gcc-3.0
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 13:47:24 EEST

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>> I'm starting to see some common probs from others apps so I will give it
>> a shot.
> Hmm I should've read the fine print. It seems kvutils is not liking
> ecawave. I can't fix that as easily as I thought. Any ideas?

This is still gcc3.0 related. You should probably take the CVS version of
ecawave as it has the gcc3.0 already applied - from the ecawave 0.4.1 NEWS
file: "- added: support for gcc 3.0". Same goes for ecamegapedal and
qtecasound. They all require changes for the new gcc.

All gcc3.0 related changes so far have been std-namespace related. Older
gcc versions didn't enforce namespace scoping for the C++ standard
library, but the newer one does. So this means that all pieces of code
using the std lib, need the following declaration:

#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
#include <config.h>
#endif
#ifdef USE_CXX_STD_NAMESPACE
using namespace std;
#endif

... so we still have support for compilers that don't have std-lib
namespace.

> Another thing I am wondering is if it would be possible to add a command
> to the ./configure like --enable-alsa that would make alsa the default
> driver? That way one wouldn't have to ever explicitly tell ecasound to
> use alsa after compiling.

True, this would useful, especially in the future if and when ALSA becomes
more popular. I'll add this to the Ecasound Development Items list.

(edi-14) Making ALSA the default output device with a compile
         time options.
         submitted: Patrick Shirkey, 18.8.2001

> -D_REENTRANT -DNDEBUG -ffast-math -c ecawave.cpp
> In file included from ecawave.cpp:24:
> /usr/local/include/kvutils/com_line.h:22: `string' was not declared in
> this
> scope

Although with ecawave 0.4.1 you won't get this error, this still needs to
fixed in kvutils so it doesn't rely on outside definitions.