[ecasound] Multitrack problems resolved! (almost)

Subject: [ecasound] Multitrack problems resolved! (almost)
From: Nolan Darilek (nolan_d@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 21:31:16 EEST

Today I had a bit of time to try resolving the latency problems I was
experiencing with my first major multitrack project. Applying the low
latency kernel patches and running the following:

/sbin/hdparm -m 8 -d 1 -u 1 -c 1 /dev/hda

seems to have eliminated the problem entirely. There does seem to be a
minor delay, but that may be due to the fact that I have very little
experience playing my guitar with bass/drum backing, and I may be a
little too late on my rhythm strums. But, the audio doesn't skip, even
with a buffer size of 256. I recently dropped it to 128, but I haven't
tested that yet.

On a side note, I made ecasound setuid root to use raisepriority. Yes
I recognize that this is a potential security risk, but in practice,
has anyone encountered any issues with this? I don't recall seeing any
shell escapes or anything similarly obvious in ecasound's interactive
mode; am I missing anything potentially fatal? I may try resetting the
setuid bit just in case.