[ecasound] Playing float wav files

Subject: [ecasound] Playing float wav files
From: toby (toby@tobiah.org)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 04:49:37 EEST

Hi,

I have been using ecasound to play floating point
wav files that I generate with csound. It is very
nice to have a player that can do this without
converting the file first.

I was noticing that ecasound seems to expect the
file to range in amplitude within a signed, 16 bit
integer. Lower values sound low, and higher values
clip, just as would be the case with a 16bit file.

The thing is, that csound writes a PEAK chunk into
the header of .wav files, which could be used to
predetermine the loudest sample. A program could use
that value to determine a scaling factor for play volume.
This would result in normalized playback every time, no
matter what the original values were scaled to. For
instance, I rather enjoy, when working with floating
point representation, to use the value '1' as a target for
loudest volume. Obviously, a file generated in this
way would have to be pre-processed for use with
ecasound.

ecasound is such a great tool. I hope that I can make
suggestions that will lead to it becoming even greater,
if I do not possess the ability to contribute those changes
myself.

Thanks,

Toby