Re: [ecasound] The speed of Eci

Subject: Re: [ecasound] The speed of Eci
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 20:18:35 EEST

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Remco Poelstra wrote:

> I want to write some audio apps, but alsa is to bad documented and has too
> many functions to learn it from aplay, so I thought let's try eci.
> But is eci fast enough for some nice realtime programs (not ardour-like)?

ECI is actually quite efficient. You can think of it as a API to send
commands to (and receive from) the ecasound engine, running in a
separate thread. The engine is exactly the same as used by ecasound's
console mode interface, qtecasound and ecawave, so it's quite efficient
and robust. So the important question is, is the ECI API enough for your
application?