[ecasound] Re: [linux-audio-dev] recording large audio files (was: Re: Question to developers ofsound editors.)

Subject: [ecasound] Re: [linux-audio-dev] recording large audio files (was: Re: Question to developers ofsound editors.)
From: Josh Green (jgreen@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:28:56 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Jay Ts wrote:
>
> >> freeze up while recording an hour of music. We really
> >> need something that can handle large stereo files.
> > If all you want to do is record live audio, there is
> > a very simple command line utility called "wavrec" (I
> [...]
> > wavrec -b 16 -s 44100 -S filename.wav
>
> ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i /dev/dsp -o filename.wav
>
> Now I just couldn't resist the temptation. ;) Now if wavrec and other
> simple tools handle the job, why use 'monsters' like ecasound? Well, a
> quick list of what you get by doing the above with ecasound:
>
> - ecasound can provide double-buffering (-z:db)
> - lock-free communication between disk and audio threads (-z:db)
> - support for realtime scheduling (-r)
> - better control over buffering done by soundcard
> drivers (-b:bsize and -z:intbuf + -z:nointbuf)
> - support more other formats than just 16bit/stereo (32bit, multich, ...)
> - support for OSS, various ALSA versions, aRts (C-API), LADPSA, LAAGA, ...
> - support for various file formats other than wav (mp3, ogg, libaudiofile)
> - ...

Cool! I like to hear about what ecasound can do. Its often easy to
overlook what one can do with applications that are really flexible. I
can't say why I haven't had ecasound installed on my machine before. I
think I have started the install several times but never did finish.
This gives me new incentive :) Lates..
        Josh Green