[ecasound] -z:intbuf

Subject: [ecasound] -z:intbuf
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 23:57:15 EEST

Recently I noticed a great decrease in stability when doing simple
playback with ecasound, where the smallest thing, and sometimes nothing
at all, would trigger xruns. Today I finally understood that it is
due to the fact that internal buffering has been disabled by default
in the latest releases of ecasound. Now here how it is, according to
my experience: Internal buffering is a source of instability when
doing purely real-time processing (reading from rt and writing to rt
objects), I have to disable intbuf when performing that sort of
operation. However, internal buffering is a great helper when only one
of the IO's is real-time and the other is not. So should it be enabled
or disabled by default? I suppose there's no right or wrong answer to
this as it depends on what sort of operation the user performs most
often. I therefore suggest to make it a config file option just like
-z:db, something like "enable-internal-buffering = true/false" so that
people would be free to choose whichever behaviour they prefer.

Regards,
S. Massy