Re: [ecasound] mixing with -ei in eiam?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] mixing with -ei in eiam?
From: Mario Lang (mlang@home.delysid.org)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 10:51:20 EEST

Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> writes:

> On 1 May 2001, Mario Lang wrote:
>
> >> importantly, it is practically useless in multichain setups. :( You should
> >> try the LADSPA pitchshifter plugins instead.
> > Ahm, I installed LADSPA yesterday (and I am amazed!) but I didnt
> > find a plugin like this. Could you point me to a website and/or plugin name
> > which does this. The only thing I found was the pitchShifter, but
> > that one only shifts pitch, and doesnt change the speed of the track.
> > I want to change both. I want ecasound to behave like a digital turn table...
>
> Aa, true, pitchShifter doesn't change the duration of processed audio
> blocks. Hmm, this might turn out to be more difficult than I thought. For
> efficiency, ecasound engine requires that all chains operate one block (x
> sample frames) at a time. Ie. all inputs produce x samples, which is then
> easy to mix to chains, and afterwards to outputs. The -ei:x pitchshifter
> breaks this design, as individual -ei can take x samples, but produce
> 1.5*x samples. With only one chain, this works ok, but otherwise it gets
> messy. Picture that we get x samples from one chain, 1.1*x from other and
> 1.5*x from the third. It's impossible to just mix these together and write
> to output...
>
> If you need to you play multiple files, but at a different speed, it
> probably requires a special input device (ie. not effect or a plugin).
> Hmm, you could simulate this by using raw audio files:
>
> ecasound \
> -a:1 -f:16,1,22050 -i input1.raw \
> -a:2 -f:16,1,23000 -i input2.raw \
> -a:1,2 -f:16,2,44100 -o /dev/dsp
Thats how I did it with sox. And I have to tell you, I
dont want to go this path again. If you are trying to sync two
tracks, it can be quite hard to reenter those numbers.
I hoped on being able to use ecasound IAM for doing this.
Can I change sampling rate of a raw-input in IAM?

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>